Friday, May 27, 2005

Reaction from around the State

The public defender family of the state has suffered a tremendous loss of a dedicated professional and a caring person. The number of us who have saved a fellow human beings' life is a very limited group and to lose on of us at such an early age is truly painful. My sympathies to all.
Bob DillingerPublic Defender 6th circuit
and one of the co-founders of Life over Death

I was sad to hear of Jim's passing. I feel privileged to have had the chance to
know him and work with him on the Steering Committee. My sympathies to his
family and friends on their loss.
Trish Cashman Orlando


As already noted by so many in this weblog, Jim Slater was a wonderful attorney- but he was an even better man. I was fortunate to work with Jim for 2 1/2 years in Bradenton, and remember well his ability to share his insight, experience, and wisdom with others, no matter how pressing his own workload. He was an inspiration to all who worked with him, and will be sorely missed.
Mike Hope Pinellas Public Defender's Office

I was saddened to hear of Jim's passing. I plan on attending the
service at the Manatee County Courthouse on Friday.
Jim Purdy, Public Defender 7th Judicial Circuit

Our sincere sympathies and great pain with this news. Jim was so quiet about his own circumstances that this illness comes as a real shock. We are feeling your pain and loss, Slater family and PD12 family.
Robert Wesley
Public Defender 9th Judicial Circuit

I too am shocked and saddened. Jim was great person, a tireless advocate and has done a tremendous job as Chairman of the Death Penalty Steering Committee. His contributions to our work and the Florida Public Defender Association will be sorely missed. My condolences to all his friends, co-workers and family.
Austin Maslanik 10th Judicial Circuit

A tremendous loss! Jim was a scholar, a leader, and a great lawyer. He took over the chair of the steering committee at a difficult time. He did a great job. He had great organizational skills and could really run a meeting. He picked up right where Johnny Kearns left off, making a joke at my expense at least once each meeting. It was all in fun. I'll miss him.
Chris Quarles Daytona Beach

I have always been amazed at those who, despite having enormous responsibilities and workloads that would break a mere mortal's back, still find time to offer more, and offer to lead. Jim did that, and he did it astoundingly well...and he did it with kindness, compassion, and extraordinary intelligence. I never had the honor of watching him practice in a court of law, but I wish like hell I had. I did get to see him lead though, and I got to know him. For that, I am extremely grateful.
William Miller, 5th Judicial Circuit

I was saddened upon learning of Jim's death. He will be missed. His dedication, enthusiasm, and positive view was contagious. A conversation with Jim was always an upbeat experience for me. I have been privileged to call him a colleague and friend.
Bill McLain Tallahassee

That is terrible news. I have known him over 25 years. He was a prince.
He will truly be missed.
Robert R. Jacobs II
Public Defender 20th Judicial Circuit

Always sad and disturbing to lose a dedicated champion of the cause at such a young age. It was devastating when Craig Barnard passed. Jim will be sorely missed.
Bill White, Jacksonville.

How sad to lose someone so dedicated to our clients. This is a great loss to FPDA. Rosemary Enright, Key West

I am stunned. Words cannot express my sadness and deep sense of loss. I will miss him and his leadership. Larry Henderson, Orlando

I too am shocked and saddened. My sympathies to all.
Nancy Daniels Public Defender, Tallahassee

No comments: