Friday, May 27, 2005

Courthouse Colleagues

Jim was one of my best friends, a gentleman to the core, and an attorney par excellence.
Peter Dubensky

I painfully regret not calling to see how Jim was doing(as I heard he was in the hospital for testing). Mainly, we don't get the chance to talk to him again. I had no idea how sick he was and that shows how fragile life is. As one who's line of work crossed paths with Jim's many times, I can say without reservation he will be sorely missed. He was a great lawyer and the consummate professional.
Wilson Broussard, Jr. MD (Sarasota, FL )


3 June 2005 12th Circuit Florida rosie@kudos.net
Jim Slater was a great inspiration to many people and I was fortunate enough to number myself among them. I worked in all 3 counties but whenever I was in the Bradenton office, Jim made me welcome and took the time to assist me with whatever I needed that day. Our work was not glamorous or joyous...we received rewards by knowing that we were doing our utmost to help the most desperate and desolate. Jim was truly interested in SERVICE to others. He exhibited this and served as an excellent role model and mentor. More than anyone else, he helped me maintain my integrity and my determination to do things the right way even when I was so often criticized for trying to do too much. Jim was ever supportive to everyone and he always expressed appreciation for what we did...he did not take for granted what we did. He freely gave of himself and, in a positive way, he gave hope to even the most hopeless of people and causes. Every life was precious to him...he touched so many in the short time he had on this earth. Our world is in need of many more "Jims" and we will surely feel his loss for a long time to come. Jim will remain ever-present in my thoughts because he was one of the very few persons who took the extra time to care and to encourage others to follow his example with a gentle, subtle persuasion. I am very saddened by his death.
My deepest sympathy to everyone.
Rosie Hinnebusch

Charlie Ann Syprett said...
I was and remain profoundly shocked by the news of Jim's sudden passing. The legal community has lost a steadfast star, and many of us have lost a kind and caring friend. During the late eighties and early nineties, I had the honor of working side by side with Jim in the then newly created Capital Division in the PD's Office. However, it wasn't until after I left the Public Defender's Office, that I truly appreciated what a gift and privilege those years with Jim were. He was, without ever really intending to be, the most gifted teacher and mentor....simply by the example he set in the way he practiced our craft and led the office. He was so very disciplined, thorough and methodical in his case preparation. He was committed and devoted to his clients. And, he was always so respectful and courteous to his colleagues, adversaries, and to the Court. He was a true professional. I have often told my husband and others how lucky I was to have worked with Jim during those years. How I regret that I never really told Jim how much I learned from him and how much I appreciated him. I would also want to tell him that I considered him to be my friend and that I was so moved...and comforted...when years later, he showed up at my father's funeral service. That meant so very much to me.
Jim shall forever remain in my heart and thoughts. My faith tells me that I will meet him again some day. I wish his family and friends strength and comfort during this most painful time.

Walt Smith said...
Jim Slater was a wonderful human being and an incredible attorney. Jim will be incredibly missed by the judges in front of whom he appeared. Every judge who had a hearing with Jim consistently remarked about his skills and his intellect. My dealings with Jim were always straightforward, honest, and usually funny. There are people that you run across who "get it." Jim was one of those and, as a result, it was always a pleasure to interact with him. It was obvious how strongly he felt for his fellow human beings, whether they be defendants, co-workers or friends. We will miss him terribly.

Mark Lipinski said...
It was somewhere around 1978 when the world and I were much younger that I met Jim Slater. Even then, he was doing murder cases -- in fact it seemed like he was doing murder cases almost every month in front of judges such as Silvertooth, Hall, Walker and others who most attorneys now do not know. I don't know how he did it. Even then, I marveled at how he was able to put together a defense for the horrible, horrible cases that were thrown his way. He even won a couple of them against all odds. I can't say that we were great friends although we were always on friendly terms. I often sat in the courtroom and watched his cross examination. The thing I remembered most about Jim was that there always was a point to it. Sometimes, people (especially me) forget that cross examination is more than examining crossly. He was uniformly polite to even the most hostile of witnesses. And I think it served him well. Later on, I would see him frequently in Manatee County in his death cases. There is a special place in heaven for people like Jim who are the attorneys for the damned. I know he is there now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for saying it, Jim was an excellent human being.

David P Fitzgerald